Saturday, June 23, 2012

Take Two: The New Girl and Teen Wolf

Since it is Summer and I am a TV junkie I usually use my time catching up on TV shows I missed during the TV season, or watching old shows I loved on DVD. I also use the time retrying shows I didn't get hooked to the first time around and dismissed. 

I recently got into using Get Glue a lot because I'm a geek who likes to let people know what I am watching and argue about TV show plots and which characters should be with each other. Based on recommendations from there I retried both The New Girl and Teen Wolf. 

Teen Wolf


I originally liked the pilot but after the next few weeks felt no desire to watch the show and the episodes just collected dust on the DVR until I eventually just removed them to watch room for other stuff. I had no intention of watching the show again but I saw the season two trailer on MUCH and it interested me so I took a chance and re-watched the pilot and kept watching.

I wouldn't say I got hooked to the show. It had elements I really liked but there are times where the acting and dialogue fall flat. Also the special effects aren't always great but they are more then passable for a TV show with w budget. 

The show got really good near the end of season one. The last two episodes were dramatic and left you wanting to know what was next. The show is definitely best during Summer. There's less pressure to compete and I think they have more freedom to explore the storyline in the summer similar to other current summer shows like Rookie Blue and Suits.

The New Girl


Originally I thought the pilot was good but not memorable. There were other pilots I liked better and decided not to watch this one because I thought the characters would become annoying. 

While there are times that the characters do get annoying it is more because you get attached to them and within the show they are doing the opposite of what you feel they should do. It's like having a friend who always dates the wrong people. You still love that friend but they annoy the hell out of you. That is what The New Girl became.

The jokes still fell flat a lot of times but you quickly get attached to the characters. There was one scene that hooked me to the show because it reminded me of my childhood friends and I.


After that episode I was hooked to the characters. I flew through the rest of season 1. Slowly the characters did things that reminded me of old friends. Especially Jess who reminds me of one of my best friends Jen. I kept watching because it reminded me a good times growing up.

I got annoyed quite often because the plot wasn't going the way I wanted it to go but I stuck with it because I hoped eventually I'd get my way. The characters are just really well written and acted and the show is worth giving a fair chance to.


No comments:

Post a Comment