Sunday, April 29, 2012

Quick Take: The Hunger Games, Pearl Jam 10, Foo Fighters, Don't Trust The B in Apt 23, Tyler Hilton

It's been awhile since I did some Quick Take reactions so I'm just gonna throw out a few now. 

Hunger Games


I went to see this the week after it opened so I could try to avoid the crowds and it was still packed so waiting didn't help much. 

The film was no more or less then I expected. I think they did an amazing job casting the film. Before seeing the film I was unsure of Woody Harrelson as Haymitch but I liked the choice after the watching. Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutchenson were also great choice as Katniss and Peeta. I'll reserve judgement on Gale until Catching Fire when he has a bigger role. 

When moving a great book to film some of the emotional is always lost. It's just impossible to convey everything (except Shawshank Redemption which had more emotion then the novel it was based on) and I think some of the emotion between Katniss and Peeta was lost on film. I think the same could be said about the friendship between Katniss and Rue even through the death scene played out really well. 

I personally liked the camera work that was used for the film but could understand the complaints on the shaky cam technique and how people didn't like it. It did get annoying after awhile and hope they use less of it in the two sequels. 

Overall it was a good but not great adaptation. Better then Twilight anyways.

Pearl Jam 10


It was an interesting documentary but I felt it would only be worth waiting for those who are fans of the band. There isn't much that will appeal to people not familiar with the band.

There was a lot I knew but it always showed a lot of the mindset of the band as they grew in popularity in the 90's. I liked seeing the mindset of the of the band during the Ticketmaster boycott and the decision to not do videos for their singles.

Watching the documentary shows that there was so much that could have derailed the band but they stayed true to themselves and twenty years later they are still making music.

If you like the music and the band I'd recommend watching.


Foo Fighters: Back and Forth 


Of the two music documentary I enjoyed this one more because I learned more about the band. While I've always enjoyed the band's music I never really followed the band enough to know the details. 

It amazed me with how many band members they have gone through. Dave Grohl never seemed the easiest to work with but you have to admire his desire to stick to his own vision of the band. He'd rather replace a member then compromise on the sound. While it may make him an asshole to work with it's also most likely one of the reasons the band is still going strong.

One thing the documentary did make me realize is that I liked Foo Fighters more then I liked Nirvana. Maybe it's because Foo Fighters lasted longer but I prefer their songbook more. I also realized that had Kurt Cobain lived Nirvana would not have lasted. Dave Grohl obviously loves being a front man for a band and I think him and Kurt would have butted heads and eventually it would have ended the band. 

Like Pearl Jam 20 I don't think it would interest people who aren't fans of the band. 

The Bitch in Apt 23


James Van Der Beek makes this show better. Without him it would be just an average show but you have to appreciate someone who is willing to make a fool of himself every week while playing himself. I do like the other characters but I always end the show remembering his scenes the best. He definately steals the show in the same why Matt LeBlanc steals the show on Episodes.

The show still has a lot of room to grow the characters but I'm enjoying it for now. Hopefully it becomes more as it goes on but the first three episodes have been good.


Tyler Hilton - Forget the Storm




This is an amazing album. I've been a fan of Tyler Hilton since he was on season 2 of One Tree Hill and I purchased his album that was current at that time and loved it. This album is better then "The Tracks Of."

My favorite songs on the album are the two listed above as well as Jenny, and I belong. The only miss on the album for me was the new version of You'll Ask Me More because I really like the version featured on One Tree Hill season 4 better. To me this version loses some of the emotion of the One Tree Hill version.

Version featured on One Tree Hill


Version from Forget The Storm


It's not a bad version. I just enjoy the older version. It doesn't change the fact that this is a great album and should be selling better.

No comments:

Post a Comment