Saturday, April 28, 2012

Need vs Want

I've lead a life where I could pretty much eat whatever I wanted without worrying about weight or health benefits. My family was definitely not healthy eaters. The only veggies we ate were potatoes, corn, and the basics that go in a salad. And usually these veggies would be drenched in something not entirely healthy like gravy, butter, and salt. Other then that we ate a lot of take out food and there was always junk food.

I never worried about it growing up. I ate a lot but I was also an active kid. I played soccer until grade 11 and spent a lot of time playing pick up basketball. I also walked a lot until my friends got cars. Through my teens I was able to stay slim. That all changed when I got to university. I covered my problems in university in a previous blog so I'll move on.

Now I'm in my thirties and I was at the point where most of the time I felt like crap. I have sleep apnea which I'm sure was caused by being overweight. I always had a hard time breathing but it seemed worse.  And there was other things that just weren't working properly and worry me.

With these in mind I decided to join the gym when Nessa showed interest. I have even been going although I honestly need to push myself to start sticking to a regular exercise schedule. Even with the gym I haven't changed my eating habits. I know I can't go full diet on our budget but I should be cutting out junk good and take out which will actually help us by saving money.

This is where I have decided to implement my Need vs. Want mindset. When I'm at the store picking up groceries I'll pick up what is in the list but while sending at the check out aisle next to the evil display of chocolate bars and candy I will need to force myself to consider need vs want. I'll probably always want it but will never need it.

Of course coming up with the plan and following it are two different matters. I need to be better and I want to feel healthier. I know I'll have craving that if I ignore will force me to go crazy with the junk food. It's happened to me many times and I'll need to learn how to satisfy the cravings while not allowing myself to over do it. I'll also need to try to lower the amount if cravings I get for junk good. I've done it with Pepsi. I once always wanted it and now I can totally live without it. It's mind over matter. It seems so simple. Choosing need over want. If I don't need it then simply skip. Unfortunately sometimes the easiest plans are the ones that are hardest to follow.


 It'll be hard work but I need to do it now before its too late.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment