Saturday, February 11, 2012

Music Monday Early Edition: Tribute to Whitney Houston

I've always loved Whitney's voice. My older sister had her cassettes and I remember her music being played a lot from her bedroom. Music has always been a big part of my life. I don't really do anything without music and growing up some of the music I loved but hide the fact was her music. 

As I got older I stopped hiding it because I didn't really care what people thought. I had an eclectic taste in music and you couldn't deny she was an amazing singer.

I Wanna Dance With Somebody


Oh I wanna dance with somebody
I wanna feel the heat with somebody
Yeah I wanna dance with somebody
With somebody who loves me

I remember making my own dance routines to this song. I absolutely loved the song and remember being annoyed that I had to rewind the cassette. Sadly cassettes didn't have a repeat option. 

Greatest Love Of All


I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows
If I fail, if I succeed
At least I live as I believe
No matter what they take from me
They can't take away my dignity
Because the greatest love of all
Is happening to me
I found the greatest love of all
Inside of me
The greatest love of all
Is easy to achieve
Learning to love yourself
It is the greatest love of all 

My father left our family when I was young and I quickly had to become the man of the house. I worked at helping my mom make ends meet. This song always inspired me. I loved the message of believing and loving yourself. It's easy when you are young to blame yourself for a parent abandoning you. It's something I think my sisters had a hard time with but I never blamed myself. I knew it was simply a matter of my father being an asshole and choosing a life of alcohol and drugs over being a family man. I learned at a young age that I cannot control what other people do. I can only control myself and make my own choices. I made the decision to be my own person and be better then my father.

One Moment In Time


I want one moment in time
When I'm more than I thought I could be
When all of my dreams are a heartbeat away
And the answers are all up to me
Give me one moment in time
When I'm racing with destiny
Then in that one moment of time
I will feel
I will feel eternity


I just simply love this song. When I played soccer this was one of the songs I played from my walkman to pump myself up. It was the first song I played while I put on my cleats and shin pads before I listened to the more uptempo stuff.

I Will Always Love You


I hope
life treats you kind
And I hope
you have all you've dreamed of
And I wish you joy
and happiness
But above all this
I wish you love 

The go to song to end any Junior High dance. When you awkwardly ask a girl to dance and then awkwardly place your hands on her hips and move around in a circle. The entire song you are wondering if you should make the move to try moving her hands downwards but most of the time you chicken out. I have to 
 whenever I hear the song cause I'd properly still be to chicken to move my hands down. 

Heartbreak Hotel


All I really wanted was some of your time
Instead you told me lies when someone else was on your mind
What'd you do to me? Look what you did to me
I thought that you were someone who would do me right
Until you played with my emotions and you made me cry
What'd you do to me? Can't take what you did to me

Arguably one of the greatest R&B songs ever. Whitney's voice blends so well with Kelly Price and Faith Evans. It's a good song to sit back and chill to. 
My Love Is Your Love


As the years they pass us by
(Years they, years they, years they)
We stay young through each other's eyes
(Each other's eyes)
And no matter how old we get
It's okay as long as I got you babe


The last really good Whitney song. Her music never seemed as special after this album but the song is beautiful. Her voice is still beautiful on this track even if she doesn't let out any big notes. It's a wonderful and mellow song that is fun to sing along with.

Count On Me
 

Count on me through thick and thin
A friendship that will never end
When you are weak, I will be strong
Helping you to carry on
Call on me, I will be there
Don't be afraid
Please believe me when I say
Count on....

I Believe In You And Me 


I believe in miracles
And Our love's a miracle
And yes, baby you're my dream come true
I was lost, now I'm free (oOh Baby)
Cuz I believe
I believe in you and me
See I was lost, now I'm free
I believe in you and me

I added these last two because they are songs my mother loves. My mom never really expressed a deep love for any particular songs. But when she did hear a song she liked she made sure I put them on CDs for her. She also loved the two movies these song from, Waiting to Exhale and The Preacher's Wife.

2 comments:

  1. RIP Whitney... I only loved her song from The Bodyguard, (as I also have LOVED that movie) It's funny you bring up the school dance. I remember a friend of mine getting that cassette at her birthday party and we played I will always love you over and over again so we could slow dance to it. And if you were really courageous while dancing, your hands would end up in the other person's back pockets! LOL most of us were all dancing that way, we must have looked ridiculous!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you definitely looked ridiculous. But that's apart of growing up.

    ReplyDelete