Saturday, February 11, 2012

Quick Take Retro: Armageddon, Day After Tomorrow, Independence Day, Dogma


Armageddon

I do not care how corny it is I absolutely love this film. The acting, the dialogue, that Aerosmith song that was played way to much in 1998. It's all cheese and I love it all. The move makes absolutely no sense and I hope that if a giant asteroid was going to crash into earth we would do more then just send oil drillers up to drill a whole to hopefully blow it up with seconds to spare.

Regardless of how flimsy the plot of the movie was the movie delivers solid action and emotion. One of my favorite scenes is the one with Ben Affleck and a few other cast members singing "Leaving On A Jet Plane." It's such a serious moment with everyone worrying about taking off for space and it the singing allowed for a little comedic relief. 


It's not the greatest movie ever but it's worth the time to watch if you are looking for an enjoyable film that requires little to no thought. 


The Day After Tomorrow

 This is definitely the lamest "End of the World" movie ever. I know the effects of Global Warning are not good for the world. My wife is taking Environmental Studies and she's always reminding me to recycle and place food in the compost. She also has to well at me for leaving the water running. 

But to use Global Warming in a movie is kinda lame. Other then crazy storms nothing really happens. There's a poor attempt at including romance between two of the kids but even that storyline is weak at best. I just don't think the world's climates would switch that quickly so it feels unrealistic. 

The movie did make a wise decision to be released in the early part of the decade when little was actually known about Global Warming by the average movie watcher. 

Even with everything that is wrong with the film it is still one of my favorite "so bad it's good" movies.



Independence Day

I remember waiting in a really long line to see this film on opening day. It felt like I waited forever (thank God for the invention of the internet where you can purchase movies online early and skip the lines to purchase tickets.) but the movie ended up being worth the wait.

From the moment I saw the first trailer it was my must see movie of 1996. 
I was 15 when the movie was released so it seemed like the greatest thing ever and it was all I talked about that entire summer. I was a huge Fresh Prince fan so I was excited to see Will Smith in a movie (I hadn't seen Bad Boys or the really good Six Degrees of Separation yet)

There was so much action in the film right from the start and I loved every second of it. It was the first movie I went to see multiple times in theaters just because I was that impressed with it. Now that Titanic is getting a 3D release this movie should get one as well. If any 90's movie deserves to be released in 3D it's Independence Day.

The movie made great choices with casting. Everyone in the movie owned there roles. Besides Will Smith other actors delivering solid roles are Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, and Randy Quaid.

Here's hoping I can stand in line for the 3D release.


Dogma

In my opinion the best of the Kevin Smith films. The film has great dialogue and the cast delivers the lines with ease.

The cast makes the film. Alan Rickman is great as Metatron. He delivers his lines with such dryness that is hilarious and is also seen in his role as Severus Snape in the Harry Potter films. The film also includes great acting from Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Chris Rock, and Selma Hayak. Even Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith hold their own in the film. Plus Alanis Morrisette as God is a great cameo.

Like any Kevin Smith movie the film is filled with plenty of stupid humor but it comes across as a better film due to the higher quality of actor in the film. Where his earlier films were just as funny, Dogma delivered superior acting.

The movie was seen as controversial when it was released with like 20 Catholics protesting the film.  These protesters including Kevin Smith himself which proves that the protesters actually had no clue what they were actually protesting.


If they had watched the film they would have seen that God wins in the end. Plus it's obvious that the film should not be taken seriously mostly because it is a Kevin Smith film.

The fact is it's a funny movie and that's enough to make it worth watching. 

2 comments:

  1. Well what do you know, aside from Dogma, we are on the same page with everything else!! I HATED The Day After Tomorrow. so boring. So drab, I honestly don't remember too much about it other than snow. I really enjoyed Armageddon way more than Deep Impact (which was released around the same time) And honestly deep impact was way more realistic and made more sense, BUT hey, Armageddon totally won me over! Independence Day prob always be my number 1 for disaster movies! in fact, we should do a top 10 together sometime. Even though you already know my number 1 lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't think it was possible for us to agree on things lol. I'd be up for a disaster film top ten.

    ReplyDelete