Sunday, January 22, 2012

Top Ten: Movies I want to see in 2012


I had originally planned on doing this list just after New Years but I slacked off and it wasn`t like there was really anything released in the last three weeks that interested me. It was kind of sad that I had to stretch to find ten movies I wanted to see this year. I`m sure there will no some independent films I end up loving by the end of the year but I usually watch those films after they have reached theaters and can be found in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart.

I had originally planned to include Super Hero movies as one spot but then was short two films so dropped The Avengers from the top ten and included the two below.  

10. Man on a Ledge


As a police psychologist works to talk down an ex-con who is threatening to jump from a Manhattan hotel rooftop, the biggest diamond heist ever committed is in motion...  

I mostly want to see this film because I loved Inside Man and the premise reminds me of that film.

9. Chronicle


Three high school friends gain superpowers after making an incredible discovery. Soon, though, they find their lives spinning out of control and their bond tested as they embrace their darker sides.

I love Super Hero movies and this one is intriguing because it seems almost low budge and the story seems likely if three guys were ever likely to gain powers. 

8. Amazing Spiderman


Teenager Peter Parker grapples with both human problems and amazing super-human crises.

Spiderman has always been one of my favorite super heroes and I liked the first set of films before the disaster that was Spiderman 3. I'll be interested in seeing how they remake this franchise especially with how well the Batman remakes were done. I'm not sold on Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker but I enjoy Emma Stone in everything she's done so hopefully the casting works out. 

 7. Men in Black III



Agent J travels in time to MIB's early years in the 1960s, to stop an alien from assassinating his friend Agent K and changing history. 

I loved the first two movies and even it's been awhile since Will Smith had a Summer Blockbuster. 

6. Red Dawn


A group of teenagers look to save their town from an invasion of North Korean soldiers.

I had to use the original trailer since they haven't released the trailer for the remake. This is one 80's movie that I loved and still think can be remade if done well. I like that they updated it situation that drives the kids together to fight. I'm just hoping they don't mess it up.
5. The Woman in Black


 A young lawyer travels to a remote village where he discovers the vengeful ghost of a scorned woman is terrorizing the locals. 

Yes one of the reasons I want to see it is to see Daniel Radcliffe in his first post Harry Potter film role but the movie always sounds promising and creepy. I would have watched it with almost any other actor in the lead role.

4. Dark Knight Rises
 

Eight years after the events of The Dark Knight, the terrorist leader Bane arrives in Gotham City, pushing it and its police force to their limits, forcing its former hero Batman to resurface after taking the fall for Harvey Dent's crimes. 

The Dark Knight was amazing and I'm not sure this movie will be able to match the intensity Heath Ledger brought to The Joker but I'm willing to find out. 

3. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter


President Lincoln's mother is killed by a supernatural creature, which fuels his passion to crush vampires and their slave-owning helpers.

Regardless of how cheesy the trailer for the book looks it was a really good read and I think can translate well to film. Of course there have been other books translated to film that massacred the book but Tim Burton is a producer on the film and I usually enjoy movies he is associated with.

2. American Reunion


Jim, Michelle, Stifler, and their friends reunite in East Great Falls, Michigan for their high school reunion. 

I was in high school and the first two movies were released so I with Reunion I feel like the films grew up with me. I like the idea of seeing where the characters are now and how it's easy to forgot you are an adult when with high school friends. 

1. The Hunger Games


Set in a future where the Capitol selects a boy and girl from the twelve districts to fight to the death on live television, Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take her younger sister's place for the latest match.

I just finished the first book and now cannot wait to see how they do the films. I wanted to see the film before I read the book but it moved up the list after I read it. I like the fact that the author of the film worked on the screen play. One of the things that I think helped the Harry Potter films was that JK Rowling had input into what was included and what wasn't included in the films. I think the benefit of Suzanne Collins working on the screen play will help the film stay focused and include the major elements of the book.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment