Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tuesday Top Ten: Holiday Songs

Holiday music for for starts early November every year. I put it onto my iPod and listen to it while I walk to work. I put on the Galaxy Holiday channel as soon as the add it every year. I listen it well into January before I remove the songs from my play lists for another year. 

There are so many holiday songs I love that it was tough narrowing it down to just ten. But I was able to cut it down. Most of the songs in the list have multiple versions but I included my favorite version of each song in the list.


10. Where Are You Christmas by Faith Hill


Where are you Christmas
Why can't I find you
Why have you gone away
Where is the laughter
You used to bring me
Why can't I hear music play 

I know it's from the mediocre Live Action Grinch movie but I like the message of the song. I like the idea of Christmas changing with us. When your young it's the magic of Santa. As a teen it's two weeks out of school. While you are in college it's a chance to relax and see old friends and family. As an adult it's about making sure others are happy especially if you have children. No matter what Christmas is something different to each person.
 
9. White Christmas by Bing Crosby

 

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the treetops glisten,
and children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow

I've grown to love this song more while living in Halifax. Especially since I could have gotten away with wearing a t-shirt today rather then my winter jacket that I was sweating in. I also know that when we do have snow and it's freezing out I'll wish for the days of sun and light breezes but Christmas without snow seems wrong to me.
 
8. I’ll Be Home for Christmas  by Frank Sinatra


Christmas Eve will find me
Where the lovelight gleams
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams
Christmas for me was always about family. It's a little harder enjoying the holidays with our family and friends so far away. Luckily with technology I can see my family using Skype even if I won't get the spend the holidays with them.
 
7. Chanukah Song (along with Part 2 and 3) by Adam Sandler


Put on your yarmulka
Its time for Chanukah
So much funnaka
To celebrate Chanukah
I Know I'm not Jewish but I just really enjoy this song during the Holidays.

6. All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey


I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree

I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas Is you

I can pretend I don't like this song but I would be fooling no one especially since I always dance when it comes on.

5. Do They Know It’s Christmas by Band Aid


 And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time
The greatest gift they'll get this year is life.
Ohh....
Where nothing ever grows
No rain or rivers flow
Do they know it's Christmas time at all?

It's not exactly a happy song but it's always been meaningful to me. I think it is good to remember the less fortunate during the holidays. There are a lot of people around the world that suffer and are just happy to be alive while we worry about getting our latest toy.

4. Cool Yule by Louis Armstrong


He'll come a flyin' from a higher place
And fill the stocking by the fireplace
So you'll, have a yule that's cool  

The only version that matters of this song is Louis Armstrong's. His deep voice adds an entertaining layer to the song and makes it fun.
3. Happy Christmas (War Is Over) by John Lennon

  
A very merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

I've always enjoyed this song for it's message of peace and understanding. I've always been against war. I'm a peaceful guy who hates having a simple argument and would rather resolve a disagreement with words rather then violence. I like the idea that war could be over if people just made it so. The message is inspiring especially during the holidays when so many people are stationed over seas.

2. The Christmas Song sung by Nat King Cole


And so I'm offering this simple phrase,
To kids from one to ninety-two,
Although it's been said
Many times, Many ways
Merry Christmas to you.  

This is the first Christmas song I can remember really loving. When I was in my early teens I got a cassette of Christmas songs and played this song so many times that I ruined the tape. I always liked the idea of everyone being happy on the holidays. Of course I have since grown up and now know that the idea of everyone loving the holidays will never be realized but the song still holds special meaning around the holidays.

1. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas sung by Christina Aguilera

  
Through the years we all will be together and
If the fates allow
Hang a shining star upon the highest bow, oh yeah, oh
And have yourself a merry little Christmas now, oh, oh

This is the holiday song I listen to the most every year in all it's different versions sung by so many different voices. I like the thought of having no worries and just enjoying the holidays with friends and family. With everyone getting along even if it's just for the short time around Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment