Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Tuesday Top Ten: Holiday Movies

I love Christmas. It's the only time watching poorly acted movies are not only acceptable but the movies are mostly loved by all. The movies are filled with so much cheesy dialogue and heartfelt moments . I love cheesy movies all hour long but Christmas makes my love acceptable.

There were a lot of movies that didn't make the list. Honorable Mentions to:

A Christmas Story
Polar Express
The many versions of A Christmas Carol
Unaccompanied Minors
Jingle All The Way
The Santa Clause
Four Christmas

And two movies that I love watching during the holidays but aren't exactly holiday movies:
 
Serendipity
Edward Scissorhands 

10. I’ll Be Home for Christmas


My family rented this movie one Christmas from Midnight Video. One of my sister's loved JTT and this was her choice. I didn't want to watch the film but I ended up loving the movie. It showcases the material side of Christmas (He only goes home cause is dad promises him a car) as well as the warm, family side (He discovers he misses his family and promises to start going home every year.) Since that first time I seen the movie I started a tradition of the movie being the first Holiday Film I watch every year,

9. Muppet Family Christmas


I don't understand how anyone could not like The Muppets. The are just so much fun. And a Christmas special that gathers characters from The Muppets, Sesame Street, and Fraggle Rock is triple the fun.
 
8. Eight Crazy Nights

  
I'm not Jewish but I enjoy this film anyways. Like any Adam Sandler film it's stupid humor and some of the jokes are grosser then the ones in his live action films (I'm thinking of the scenes including a Port-a-Potty and Reindeer) but the movie showcases a nice story of redemption and forgiveness.
 
7. It’s a Wonderful Life


A heartwarming story that shows that success is measured not just by the money you make but by the lives you touch. The idea that the world would be different had you never existed has been tackled in other movies and TV shows but it is done so well in this film.
 
6. Claymation/ Charlie Brown Christmas/ Frosty the Snowman


I remember the first time I watched the claymation Christmas specials. I was amazed at how cool they looked and even through the technology doesn't impress me as much as it did as a kid I still love these films.

Rudolf was always my favorite but I also laughed Santa Clause is Coming to Town and Little Drummer Boy. I included Charlie Brown and Frosty in this section because I ran out of room and did not want to not leave them out. Expecially Charlie Brown Christmas which has a storyline that still rings true.


5. Gremlins


Any movie that can be a Christmas or a Halloween movie must be included. As a kid I wanted a buddy like Gizmo and I promised my mother if I ever got Gizmo I would not feed it at night or get it wet. He's still one of the cutest movie creations ever.


4. How The Grinch Stole Christmas


I have always been a fan of Dr. Seuss books and loved the cartoon as a child. I even enjoy the live action remake even through it loses most of the emotion of the cartoon. 

3. Elf


I remember working at Wal-Mart with Moose and Cory and rewatching this movie over and over again. As much as we had to watch it I never got sick of it and spent most of my shift either quoting the movie or watching the movie and ignoring customers. 
 
2. Christmas Vacation


I love all of the Vacation films but Christmas Vacation was always my favorite. I think it's the funniest thing Chevy Chase has ever done and loved. It showcases so many levels of what Christmas is. Dealing with relatives, shopping, christmas dinner, stress of not having money for everything, and the joy of decorating. The movie does everything right and makes you laugh because it reminds of your own Christmas experiences. 

1. Home Alone 1&2

 

The ultimate Christmas movie. At least the first two movies were (the are basically the same film) great. After that the movies just got sad. But those first two films did everything right. I love how the film shows the emotions of wanting you family to disappear and then realizing that Christmas is nothing without your family. Sure the movie is farfetched (The robbers would never have walked away from being nailed in the face with a pipe or falling into a wall. Regardless the movie is fun and good for multiple viewings ever Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment