Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tuesday Top Ten: Movies based on Books

 Since I'll be going to see the last Harry Potter film this afternoon I thought it would be a good time to list my Top Ten movies based on books. I'm posting this quick so I can get a few things done before the movie so let's jump right in.


10. The Outsiders
Book they are based on:  The Outsiders by SE Hinton




This first thing I always remember about this film is how many future stars were in the film. This movie was packed with young stars who went on to have great movie careers. Except for the poor kid who played Ponyboy. Talk about being remembered for the wrong reasons, especially since he had the main role in the film.

9. High Fidelity
Book they are based on: High Fidelity by Nick Hornby


One of the few movies that could make americanize a British book and still succeed. It's a good story that translate easily from page to screen. Also one of the few films that I enjoy Jack Black in.

8. Lord of the Flies
Book they are based on: Lord of the Flies by William Golding



I watched this movie before I read the book. Most of the time when that happens I end up starting to dislike the movie but this film bucks the trend. The children in the film and book always seemed real and I imagine if this happened in real life it would play out almost the same way.

7. The Green Mile
Book they are based on: The Green Mile by Stephen King


One of three Stephen King's stories to make my top ten. Another story that makes well as both a movie and a book. The acting in the film is amazing and Stephen King books translate to film better when they have emotion elements rather then straight horror novels.

6. Forrest Gump
Book they are based on: Forrest Gump by Winston Groom


  This movie ended up higher on the list because I liked the movie so much more then I liked the book. Tom Hanks is great as Gump. I also loved the above clip I found for the film. 

5. Friday Night Lights
Book they are based on:  Friday Night Lights by HG Bissinger


Most of the time I dislike Billy Bob Thornton as an actor but in a few films he is such a great actor. This is one of those films. The movie gets extra points because it inspired Friday Night Lights the TV show which is one of my all time favorite TV shows. The film is so much more then just a football movie. It's a picture at how we let sports control our lives and how it can shape a town. 

4. Field of Dreams
Book they are based on: Shoeless Joe W. P. Kinsella


I got this movie as a Christmas gift when I was younger. We ate a lot of McDonalds and the restaurant was during a Christmas promotion selling Heart touching movies for cheaper with the sale of a Value Meal. That Christmas I got Back To The Future and this film on VHS. I had never seen the film before but watched it twice that Christmas day. I loved the story and became a huge fan of the way James Earl Jones spoke. I'll still watch anything he's in just to hear him talk.
3. Stand by Me
Book they are based on: The Body by Stephen King


I always liked this film because it always makes me think back to my childhood when things were simple and I had little to nothing to worry about. When I could just pack a backpack and walk the 20 KM to Matepedia with Ryan to visit friends.

2. Harry Potter Series
Books they are based on: Harry Potter series by JK Rowling



Regardless of how people feel about the changes made from the books the series is among some of my favorite books and movies. Sure I wish the movies included more of the novels and kept some of the less important story lines but if you watch the movies as a separate entity they are quite enjoyable.

1. Shawshank Redemption
Book they are based on: Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King


One of my all time favorite movies. I didn`t love the novella it was best on and the movie follows the novella quite well. What makes this movie is the acting. You can also say that the movie had fantastic writers and a fantastic director but without Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins this movie could have easily fell flat.

It's a great story of friendship and redemption and I thank TBS for making it such a popular film since audiences skipped it in theaters and it was overlooked for awards by Forrest Gump.

No comments:

Post a Comment