Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Things that bother me #4

As the whole world knows Amy Winehouse passed away the other day. And while I unfortunately cannot say I was shocked it is still tragic and sad. She was a very talented singer and songwriter who couldn't escape her demons like so many other celebrities. Regardless of how it is determined she died it doesn't change that fact that she was troubled and no one was able to save her.

What really bothers me is how sales of an artist spike after they have died. I will never understand why people who don't already own the album run out to buy or download the music. I can understand the spike in radio play but if you didn't listen to them when they were alive why change you're opinion of them when they pass away. 

If they are doing it to remember someone there are better ways. Donate to a charity in their name. In the case of Amy Winehouse why not help fund a rehab center or volunteer at a youth center to help keep kids away from the dangers of drugs and alcohol. 

There's so many other ways to try to honor someone instead of buying music you would never buy if she was still alive. Music that you'll forget about in a month when they next tragic story hits.

It's a shame she passed away. I wish someone could have found a way to save her. But there are still so many other people in the world that need our help. I just wish people would spend their money more wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment