Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tuesday Top Ten: End of the World movies

This past weekend a Pastor in California predicted that the beginning of the end of the world would start. Luckily for us it didn't happen but it helped me decide my top ten list for the week. Top Ten End of the World movies. It was surprising easy to decide on ten movies. Although there was a lot of movies I liked I was able to cut it down without sweating.

10. 2012


I think that without John Cusack I might have liked this movie less but I am a big Cusack fan. There is no real depth to the film and it's a total popcorn flick but sometimes that's what disaster flicks should be.

9. War of the Worlds 


I think this remake benefited a lot from having the benefit of better technology to work with. The original was great but the special effects in it took some of the suspense away by the time I saw it. I am sure it was amazing when it was realized and someday this version will look dated as well.
8. Dogma



The best of the Kevin Smith films. Proves the end of the world does not have to just be serious but can also be funny.

7. Zombieland


Might lose points as it ages but for now it's here. Woody Harrison is awesome in the movie and the cameo with Bill Murray is hilarious. The movie also helped launch Emma Stone's career and she's grown into one the best actresses of the next generation. 

6. Planet of the Apes


The movie holds up over time even though it had a weak remake. And the ending shocked me which gives it extra points.

5. Men in Black


If for nothing else this is on the list because the awesome theme song. I could dance to that song any day of the week. The movie is also hilarious and the chemistry between Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones is great.

4. Armageddon



This one is on the list mostly because I'm a sucker for love stories. The movie doesn't add anything new to diaster movies  but the scene near the end with Ben Afflick and Bruce Willis always makes me tear up.

3. Dawn of the Dead


What could be better then serious actors stuck in a mall surrounded by zombies ...

2. Shaun of the Dead


... Comedy actors stuck in a bar surround by zombies.

1. Independence Day



This movie had everything. A great story, great acting, and even though it was made in 1996 the special effects don't yet feel dated. The movie launched a movie career for Will Smith and I always the scene he had near the end with Jeff Goldblum was really well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment