Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Tuesday Top Ten Bonus: Top 15 Pop Bands

Nessa for some reason suggested I post a top ten boy band list and as I was making the list I thought about also including girl groups. And then while I was looking up Youtube videos I came across some pop bands that had both genders. And since I couldn't narrow it down to just ten, here are my Top Fifteen Pop Bands.

Sadly I could have made it a Top 25 or even a Top 30 and I could have included some real cheesy bands and one hit wonders but I stuck to 15 and chose my favorite tune from the band. The majority of the bands our from the nineties thus can now be considered a guilty pleasure. At least that's what I keep telling myself.


15. Westlife: Swear It Again



One of two really good boy bands to come out of England. They had a lot of good mellow songs and "Swear It Again" has so much emotion behind the lyrics.

14. Take That: Back For Good


 The other good British boy band. Plus Robbie Williams came from this band and he went on to have a really successfully solo career.

13. Wilson Phillips: Hold on


 Every time I hear this song I thing of Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. Which makes me remember driving around with Al singing off key and having a good time. The song is the definition of a cheesy 90's song but that's what makes it great.


12. 98 Degrees: Because of You


I had a hard time picking a song by 98 Degrees. They have a few good ballads but in the end I liked this song the best out of their catalog. It's a catchy tune and still feels a little heartfelt even for a boy band.

11. Banarama: Cruel Summer


One of the best guilty pleasures of the 80's. A lot of groups have tried to cover this song and no one comes close to the awesomeness of Banarama.

10. All Saint: Never Ever



I always wondered why this group didn't have a bigger career. They were just as talented as other girl groups but for what ever reason they never stayed relevant. It happens to a lot of artists but this song is really good.

9. S Club 7: Don’t Stop Moving


 I use to love the S Club 7 TV show. It was great and reminded me off The Monkees. I don't think they would have been as big without the show either.

8. Destiny’s Child: Jumpin, Jumpin



I am not a huge Beyonce fan but I liked a lot of Destiny's Child's songs. I loved dancing to this song at the Flagship. They use to play it like 20 times a night.

7. Hanson: Mmmbop



Another group that just didn't stay relevant. Which is sad because some of their new material is really good Adult Contemporary music. Mmmbop is a very catchy song and once it's in your head it stays there.

6. Spice Girls: Stop


You can't deny that the Spice Girls were a good pop group. I love Spice World the movie for the cheesiness and I choose this song because I like the dance they do during the chorus. 

5. The Monkees: Daydream Believer


One the greatest songs ever. The Monkees had a lot of great songs but this song has such great lyrics behind it and Davy Jones sings it so well.

 4. Ace of Base: The Sign


Who doesn't like this song. I was undecided between this and "Beautiful Life" and I choose this song. I dare anyone to listen to it and not marvel in it's greatness. I'm still waiting for someone to do a good cover of the song. 

3. New Kids on The Block: Step by Step



 The band that created the market for so many other bands. Without NKOTB there is no BSB or Nsync. You can argue that there would be no Justin Timberlake but I think he would have found a way because he is talented on his own. "Step by Step" is arguable there best song and rewatching the video is hilarious.

 2. Nsync: It’s Gonna Be Me


My favorite song by Nsync. I think this song shows Justin Timberlake's solo talent the best out of any song other then maybe "Dirty Pop." I may even like them better then the number 1 group but they lose points because looking they also felt more like Justin, JC, and three other guys then a boy band.

1. Backstreet Boys: I Want It That Way



Anyone who has spent time with me at Taps knows why this is number one and if you haven't seen me sing it then you may be lucky to not be scarred for life. Regardless the Backstreet Boys have lasted longer then expected and this is actually a good song, especially when I don't sing it. 

Tell Me Why

1 comment:

  1. ROFL! I love that "I want it that way" is number 1!! TELL ME WHY??!!! lol classic memories!!

    ReplyDelete