Monday, April 08, 2013

Music Monday: Songs I Wish I Wrote

This week on American Idol the finalists will be performing songs they used they had written. I usually like this theme because it actually has the chance to have some surprises if the contestants are brave enough to perform little known songs. 

Since I don't think this crop of idols will be courageous I am sure we will get our usual batch of boring ballads. I thought I'd use this weeks Music Monday to showcase a few songs I wish I had written.

They were all chosen for different reasons. They connect with me and at some moment in time helped me get though something that life threw in my way. That's what makes music so special. You can listen to a song and feel that someone else is dealing with the same emotions and thoughts as you are. 

Matthew Barber - Suddenly 

Suddenly, dignity
rescues a soul from a body weak
Sad are we but you are flying free
on into eternity

Coffey Anderson - Better Today

And I wanna hear your voice, in the morning when I rise
I think I know I'm just a normal man, only made of sand except when you're by my side
Will you love me, teach me, don't leave me I pray
And when I, and I'm thinking of the times
Your hands in mine, together we will stay
You made me better today
Better than I was before
And now my heart can rest and I will search no more
You made me better today, today, today

Edwin McCain - Go Be Young


I let my dreams slip away from me
That's where it went wrong
Go be young, go be free
Follow your heart where it leads you
Don't end up like me 

The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You


Ah Brooklyn Brooklyn take me in
Are you aware the shape I'm in
My hands they shake my head it spins
Ah Brooklyn Brooklyn take me in

Dumbed down and numbed by time and age
Your dreams to catch the world, the cage
The highway sets the traveler's stage
All exits look the same

Three words that became hard to say
I and love and you

Joshua Radin - Winter


And I remember the sound
Of your November downtown
And I remember the truth
A warm December with you
But I don't have to make this mistake
And I don't have to stay this way
If only I would wait

The walk has all been cleared by now
Your voice is all I hear somehow
Calling out Winter

The Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm


I used to be a little boy
So old in my shoes
And what I choose is my choice
What's a boy supposed to do?
The killer in me is the killer in you
My love
I send this smile over to you

Soul Asylum - Runaway Train


It seems no one can help me now
I'm in too deep
There's no way out
This time I have really lead myself astray

Runaway train, never goin' back
Wrong way on a one-way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
somehow I'm neither here nor there

No comments:

Post a Comment