Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Tuesday Top Ten: Summer TV

Since it's summer and in recent years there have been just as many good Summer TV shows as during the Fall I thought I'd use this weeks blog to list my top ten current Summer TV shows. I'll be sharing this weeks list with my friend Lisa who I have discovered from GetGlue has similar tastes in Pop Culture as myself. 

You can find her Blog here: 

A Pop Culture Affair 

I'm going to start with a few Honorable Mentions of shows that I've recently started enjoying but have not watched them enough to include them in the top ten. 

Eureka
Covert Affairs
Franklin and Bash
Warehouse 13
Falling Skies
Suits
 
10. Wilfred


I wasn't sure about the show when I first started watching but I have grown to love the show. I talk to my dog all the time so it's nice to see a show where the dog actually talks back.

9. Episodes


I had mixed feelings about this because I have never been a big fan of Matt LeBlanc but he is actually really funny playing a caricature of himself. This weeks in the same way that James Van Der Beek works in Don't Trust The B- in Apt 23 except this show has more going for it overall. 

8. True Blood




This show is hit or miss for me. There are seasons I love (Seasons 1 and 3) and seasons I hated (Seasons 2 and last season) but I always still get around to watching the show although I don't ever really feel like re-watching the earlier seasons.


7.  America’s Got Talent


I enjoy this show because you can see so many amazing things that people can do. Of course you also get the stupid talents like guys who can take kicks to the balls. When you can see someone you looks like a train wreck come out and blow you away. Like this summer with the Goth kid belting out opera music. It was unexpected and wonderful. Likeing this show also gives me a reason to post this video:

 
6. Big Brother


This one always depends on the cast but if you get the right mix of sane and insane housemates then it is great for guilty Summer TV. I do always wish they would replace Julie Chen with another host but the show is usually a good time killer regardless.

5. Teen Wolf   

This show is better when watching many episodes at once. When I first started watching the show last summer I lost interest watching it weekly and just stopped watching. I gave it another try and really enjoyed the show but now I am experiencing the same thing where if I watch it weekly I loss interest so I just decided to let the episodes build up on the DVR and then watch all at once.

4. Awkward


I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this show. The main characters can get annoying at times but the supporting characters are great. It definately feels like it should be a hour long show rather then half hour because 22 minutes of airtime flies by. The show did a good job and establishing a love triangle that people can easily choose sides in similar to Dawson's Creek and One Tree Hill. 

3. So You Think You Can Dance

  
The show gets so much better once the audition episodes are done because by then you have favorites but people with lack of screen time have the chance to steal the show. It's produced so much like American Idol where you can tell who the producer favorites are and I like to cheer on the underdogs.  The show also does a great job of showcasing so many different styles of dance that are fun to watch like Bollywood which I've gained a love for since I've been with my wife. 
 
 2. Rookie Blue



I love the fact that this show is filmed in Canada and they don't try to make it seem like America. They even show our colored money which is awesome. While the show often lacks the season long storylines I like in most TV shows it does a great job with the relationships between characters and the acting is actually good for a Summer show on Broadcast TV.

1. Hell’s Kitchen / MasterChef






My wife got me into watching Gordon Ramsey shows and I quickly fell in love with ever insult he tosses out during Kitchen Service. I always find it amazing how poorly most of the career chefs  do early in the season, at this point chefs should know that they better make sure they can properly cook a scallop or beef wellington. It's like the people who go on Survivor who can't use a flint.

I actually just started watching MasterChef this Summer but I actually like it better then Hell's Kitchen this summer but I think it's because I don't really like any of the cast on Hell's. Like any reality competition show it really comes down to having a good cast.


2 comments:

  1. Great list! You watch a lot more reality TV than I thought! I was curious about Wilfred and Episodes but they both seemed a bit too strange so I never did try them.

    That 'America's Got Talent' song is now stuck in my head lol

    I love that the Canadian shows on my list also always show our coloured money haha. I find lately Canadian shows are getting better than they were before.

    I also agree about Awkward, it should be longer. That's why I loved watching S1 fully through, waiting each week is annoying.

    Eureka, Warehouse 13 and Franklin and Bash are all on my 'to try out' list. I already tried Covert Affairs, a few episodes but I didn't really care too much for it. Maybe I should give it another try some day though.

    Thanks again for asking me to participate in this Top Ten! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved season one of Covert Affairs but lost interest after that and need to catch up. Wilfred and Episodes are weird but I think you'd enjoy at least Episodes. Wilfred is hit or miss on those who like it and those who don't.

    ReplyDelete