Friday, April 06, 2012

Top Fifteen: One Tree Hill Episodes

One Tree Hill ended it's nine year run the other night so I thought I'd  post my favorite 187 episodes but that seemed like a lot of work so I dropped it down to a more manageable 15 episodes.

I remember watching the Pilot on TV and liking it. The next morning I saw the ratings and felt the show was doomed so decided not to watch any other episodes. To my great surprise it was given a second season but I still didn't think it would last so I catch up and skipped season 2 as well. I did keep up with the ratings and remember thinking there was no way they get a season 3 but I was wrong again. At this point I decided I'd might as well give the first season a real try. I bothered the DVD from a friend and watched the first 22 episodes in a weekend (Sidenote: I kinda of miss the habit of just sitting around watching a complete season or two. I remember watching the first four Seasons of Smallville in a week with Al. Other then short bouts of sleep and going to get take out it was all we did for the week along with other people who came in and out of the house looking for a party but just found two guys watching a lot of TV).

I was instantly hooked after that first season and proceeded to download the second season and flew that as well. Of course Season 2 ended up being my least favorite season I was still hooked on the characters. That is what made this show. I understand people who disregard the show because of all the crazy shit that it has done (but a dog eating a heart is awesome) if they really sat down with an open mind they would see a great show about people. It was so easy to become invested in the characters and care what happened from episode to episode. Not all shows are lucky to get that second and third season. Even fewer shows get to season nine. And while other shows creatively run out of air after high school years (currently Gossip Girl which has fell apart) One Tree Hill found a way to skip college and reinvigorate the show. Really the show was almost like two different shows. Regardless I loved the show right to the very end and below is my favorite 15 episodes.


15. Don't You Forget About Me (Season 7)


I love John Hughes films so this tribute episode was great. It included nods to so many great Hughes films and was fun to watch.

14. The Last Day of Our Acquaintance (Season 7)


It's crazy when a show can make you care about the death of a character who was in like 4 episodes over the series. I've been lucky enough to not lose a parent but watching Haley and her sisters deal with it was sad and I liked the show showed the emotion.

13. All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone (Season 4)


I remember thinking this may be a series finale since the WB was merging with UPN and I felt leaving high school was a good point for the show to end. The episode played like a series finale which makes sense if you agree with my idea that the series can be split into the original series (High School) and the spin off (Post College). The episode also has one of my favorite scenes when Mouth kisses Brooke.

12. The Show Must Go On (Season 3)


The shows best cliffhanger for the series. Season three was such a great season from start to finish and ending with Nathan jumping in to save Cooper and Rachel with Haley screaming for help was a great way to end the season. At this point I figured nothing would stop OTH from getting a fourth season so I was ok with the ending. Also I loved the use of Led Zeppelin at the end. (A milestone since there music had never been used for a Network show before then)

11. Forever and Almost Always (Season 6)


Peyton has always been like Joey Potter for me. I understand they were integral of their shows but they annoyed me quite often. That doesn't change the fact that I was glad Lucas got the girl of his dreams in the same way I liked that Pacey got the girl in the end.

10. Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will (Season 9)
 

This episode was just crazy from start to finish. It played like a short thriller with all the story lines coming together for crazy endings.

9. The Other Half of Me (Season 8)


Brooke was anyways given the short end of the stick on this show. She was always the third wheel on the Relationship triangle with Lucas and Peyton. It was nice to see her get a happy ending with Julian.

8. One Tree Hill (Season 9)


I was surprising not overly emotional with the final episode. Nine years is a long time for any show and I am grateful it got to lost this long when you consider other great shows with shorter runs (Everwood and Friday Night Lights to name two) The episode did a great job of tying together the series and giving everything there happy ending.

7. Who Will Survive, and What Will Be Left of Them (Season 3)


This episode always seems forgotten because it follows the more emotional school shooting episode but it is just was good in my mind. The emotion the characters show through out the episode from Karen falling apart to Lucas moving from hatred of Jimmy to accepting and attending the funeral because that was what Keith would do.

6. Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly.  (Season 6)


This episode always hits me because of Jamie's reaction to Q's death. Placing the cape on the coffin gets me every time.

5. Pilot (Season 1)


The episode did what it was supposed to do. Make you interested in the characters and make you want to come back for more. The show did a great job from the start to make you interested in the characters.

4. Darkness on the Edge of Town (Season 8)


I knew there was no way they were going to kill off Brooke but watching Julian carry her out of the water was still terrifying.

3. Some You Give Away (Season 4) 


I loved this episode because it felt like a homage to the first four seasons up to that point but was still able to end with a greater cliff hanger. Lucas hitting the winning shot always gives me chills along with Dan listening to the game on the radio and realizing that Nathan decided to try to win.

2. Danny Boy (Season 9)


Dan was such a great character throughout the series. You wanted to hate him but they made it so hard to hate the character because he added so much to the show. He had so many ups and downs. He showed how a person could ruin their life by living in the past. Even on his death bed he stole the show. Plus the surprise Keith appearance was great considering it's hard to keep anything under wraps in the age of Facebook and Twitter.

1. With Tired Eyes, Tired Minds, Tired Souls, We Slept (Season 3)


Danny Boy came close to topping the list but that would have only been because it was fresher in my mind. This episode is amazing and shows the effects we can have on peoples lives without really realizing it. The acting is well down even by the guest stars and the story lines in this episode played out right until the series finale.

2 comments:

  1. There were a couple of other episodes in my mind that I might have chosen over some of these ones but overall, your choices were all very close to mine aside from Danny Boy which honestly didn't effect me very much at all.... I am VERY surprised it made your number 2!! But in any case, certain situations affect certain people differently and so I can certainly understand that it got you for one reason or another. I will be posting my top 15 some day in the near future. XD Great list! PS. My number 1 is the same as yours! That almost never happens! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even now I think of some episodes I left off I could redo the list but I'm happy with the list overall.

      I think #1 is a lot of people's fave.

      Delete