Sunday, March 11, 2012

Initial Impression: Pilot Season

It's casting season for many new pilots that are in development for next fall. While it is still really early and everyday new actors are announced for pilots I thought I'd post my first impression on five shows that are in development that intrigue me the most. Of course there is a chance that none of these will be picked up but I can't help myself from getting excited about the potential of these series. 

There were other developing shows that also interested me but they were either still casting the show or the show was on Fox. I have finally decided not try a new Fox show next year. If the show gets a season two and looks interesting I'll jump on board then but not a moment before a second season announcement. I've been burned by Fox too many times. I also only went with broadcast pilots because I always wait before jumping on a Cable show band wagon.

With that diatribe done here are five shows that excite me based on show concept and casting.

Arrow (CW)

"Based on the DC Comics title, published by DC Entertainment, this hourlong drama is a modern retelling of the legendary DC Comics character Green Arrow."

Since Smallville ended I expected the CW to jump back into the super hero/comic world with a new show. While I thought it would be some sort of spin off I am OK with the direction that they have decided to take with Arrow. While I think Smallville did a good job with the character I like the idea of stepping away from the show and trying to blaze their own trail for the character.

I still see the show following mostly the same path as far as story except it'll be tailored towards their characters. I still expect the show to have the action and relationships that made Smallville great. While I started Smallville for the story of Clark Kent becoming Superman I stayed to see how he would be friends with Lex. I am hoping Arrow can pull off that type of dynamic.

I am also excited for the cast of the show. Stephen Amell has been good in most roles he has played and Katie Cassidy has hit every role she has had out of the park. She was the only reason to watch that horrible remake of Melrose Place and even added some excitement to the sinking ship called Gossip Girl last season. Also Willa Holland has the potential to be a scene stealer if used right. 

For a great place to follow news and insight into the show you should check out Green Arrow TV. It is run from the same fine fellow who did Krytonsite for Smallville which I still frequent and he has a large network of websites for other shows.


Joey Dakota (CW)

"Based on the Israeli format Danny Hollywood.  In this romantic-time-travel-musical, a documentary filmmaker travels back in time to the 1990’s where she meets and falls in love with the rock star subject of her film. When she unexpectedly returns to present day, she must find her way back to the past to reunite with her love and prevent his untimely death."
The concept of the show is about a reporter who travels back in time to research a Rock Star who died young. While there she falls in love with the Rock Star and is bought back to the future. Once back she struggles to get back to the 90's to safe him. 

Sure it sounds like a bad romantic comedy but the premise reminds me of Being Erica. I initially had no interest in watching that show but once I tried it on Netflix I flew through the serious quickly and finished the series while it ran on TV. One of my favorite storylines on the show was the relationship between Erica and Kai. He was a Rock Star who came back to change his past. I figure the series will hopefully take the emotion of that story arc and blow it out to a full blown series.

And for those who don't know Being Erica this scene tied up the first part of their storyline.   



As for cast I loved both Legend of the Seeker and Greek so the casting of Craig Horner and Amber Stevens is OK in my book.
 
666 Park Avenue (ABC)

"When a young couple accepts an offer to manage one of the most historic apartment buildings in New York City, they unwittingly begin to experience supernatural occurrences, which complicate and endanger the lives of everyone in the building. Based on the book by Gabriella Pierce."

This show should make it on cast alone. Terry O'Quinn, Robert Buckley,  Rachael Taylor, Vanessa Williams, and Dave Annable so far. It's also written by one of the writers on Fringe and has Supernatural aspects to the show.

Of course I was sold on Terry O'Quinn so as long as this show is picked up it'll be on my Fall TV Schedule. 


1600 Penn (NBC)

"What happens when you're the most ordinary family in the world but your father is the president of the United States? A modern family-type of show set in the White House where all the kids are far from perfect."

A show about a dysfunction First Family. The premise kind of reminds me of Dirty Sexy Money set in the White House and I'm kind of hoping it's based on George W. Bush's family. 

I liked Bull Pullman as the president in Independence Day and he was funny in Casper (I liked it), and Brittany Snow deserves a hit show so hopefully this one will make it. Plus side is it's on NBC so even slightly average ratings should get it four seasons. 

Shelter (CW)

"Drama set at an historic New England summer resort where the new and returning staff attend to the practical, emotional and often comical needs of the guests while navigating friendships, rivalries and romances of their own."

The show has no big named actors or actresses attached to it (as far as I can find no one is attached yet) but the same could be said for One Tree Hill (minus Chad Michael Murray) and I got sucked into that show for nine seasons.  I'd give anything from Mark Schwahn a fair chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment