Wednesday, February 01, 2012

What they should have told me before I left for university.

I have recently joined the gym. Nessa wanted to join and it was only $24 extra to add me so we both got memberships.

I went for the first time this week and then remembered how out of shape I am. I use to be able to swim laps without having to use the doggie paddle as I struggled to reach the edge of the pool (I'm pretty sure the lifeguard had an extra eye in me as I struggled from side to side). I also use to be able to run a mile without wanting to lay down and die.

As I struggled to finish a mile I was trying to run I wondered how I reached this point. It all goes back to my first semester of university.

I was on my own for the first time (if you can call sharing a dorm with 80-100 people on my own). I grew up a skinny kid never over eating.  Now I had access to a full cafeteria that was always all you can eat. I was also walking distance from McDonald's and a really good pizza place and had money to spare. I also discovered a love for rum and cokes. Since I had nothing to spend my money on (other the VHS movies and CDs ... God I'm old) I spent a lot of money on eating and drinking.

I knew what I was doing was unhealthy. I told myself to just have fun and enjoy myself. I'd get back in shape at some point. I convinced myself that I'd turn it around. That was over 12 years ago. Now I'm an out of shape 30 year old who is finally really trying to turn it around.

The thing I wish someone would have pointed out to me was to not overdue the food and drink. To make sure you fit physical activity into your life. To be careful what you do now that you are on your own. No one wants to be overweight and out of shape at 30. Or maybe they do but I don't.

That's way I decided that I'll post weight loss updates online. I know only like 3 people regularly look at this blog (3 people is a slightly optimistic number) but at least it'll be out there for anyone to see. It'll hopefully keep me pushing toward my goal of losing 30-40 pounds this year.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you!! I really have to take this weight I've put on since starting my meds and I need to get myself back into some physical activities,as well and NOT eating so much junk all the time. As someone who's been fighting this battle for 12 years, I can tell you it's always off and on for me. it's a constant struggle to KEEP the weight off, not to take it off. I tend to always end up back where I started ... BUT I can't let that stop me from taking it back off. At this point, my motivation is less about my health and more about the hundreds of dollars I spend on a new wardrobe that I can no longer fit... :/ Even though, after the scare with my mom, it is about my health too.

    ReplyDelete