Sunday, October 30, 2011

Tuesday Top Ten: Horror Movies

In the spirit of Halloween my friend Amy and I decided to agree on our Top Ten Horror Movies and then place them into our own top ten. 

I've always been a fan of Horror movies. I would never call them my favorite movies but I think it is good to be scared sometimes. We actually came up with the list a lot easier then I thought we would. After moving a few that were move thriller then horror.

There are also a lot of horror movies that just aren't very good. Like that movie "Mirrors." 

First a few Honorable Mentions that didn't make the top ten but I do enjoy.

Any of the George Romero movies especially Dawn of the Dead
Psycho: The original not the lame remake
The Shining
Carrie
The Last House on the Left
Rosemary's Baby

For Amy's list you can visit her great blog at :


And now on to my version of the Top Ten Horror Movies:

10. Scream

I loved this movie from the moment Drew Barrymore was gutted and hung from a tree. It flipped everything on it's ear by making fun of horror and slasher films while stating the rules to survive the films. And just when you thought the film would pave real new ground the flipped it again and made the killer predictable.

9. The Amityville Horror (Original and Remake)


This movie gains points on the score alone. As seen in the clip it's just a creepy theme for a story that is also suspenseful. The remake was not great but it was better then other recent remakes.

8. Saw


The Saw movies freaked me more out because half the time I had absolutely no clue what was happening and why it was happening. But it does have one of the best movie endings ever.

7. Pet Cemetery  


This movie was scary because of the child actor. It's not that horror movies are known for great acting but the child actor was creepy.

6. Child's Play



I had a doll just like Chucky and I stopped playing with it after seeing this film.

5. Halloween (Original and Remake)


I liked the original better then the remake. Maybe it was because I was younger and the original was just slash and kill. I didn't need the so called "back story" of the remake. I think it made the film less scary that they made him "human." Sometimes less is more. All you need as a creepy music and a good villain.

4. It


The movie hasn't aged great but nothing could be scary than a killer clown played by Tim Curry. If any horror movie should be remade it should be It 


3. Friday the 13th


A movie that takes something as simply as summer camp and makes it terrifying. Now if it had stopped at just this film and skipped the lame sequels. Bonus points for Kevin Bacon being in the film.

2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original and remake)


This movie always freaked me out more because it was based on true events and I watched the documentary of the events that the film was based on. Also the remake was just as good as the original and was actually well acted.

1. Nightmare on Elm Street


The later films made Freddy a joke but the original film had him be a great villain who played with his victims before killing them. It's one thing to chase down and stab your victims. Freddy did it a different and far scarier way. You couldn't get away from Freddy because everyone falls asleep eventually.

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe how different our results are!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah they are almost reversed

    ReplyDelete
  3. haahahaha that's so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's because, aside from It and Child's Play, All the other films in the list I only watched as a teenager or an adult. My fear factor and perspectives of the films are a bit different.

    ReplyDelete