Thursday, October 20, 2011

After Further Review

So we are basically a month into the new TV season and I've had time to give proper chances to the new shows that I can now offer a little more insight into how I feel about them. I will put the new shows into one of three decisions: Keeper It for those that have hooked me for the season, Drop It for those that just aren't good, and Jury Still Deciding for those that need a little more time.

Hart of Dixie
Keep It




My favorite new show. It reminds me of so many great shows on the WB. It has a lot of feeling behind the show and characters that are fun and easy to relate to.


A friend of mine commented to me about how it was unrealistic for Rachel Bilson to play a cut throat doctor. And by watching more episodes I can say that is true. Without giving away too much you learn that she was never who she thought she was.

The other characters are all very enjoyable and the writers have already developed relationships and love triangles galore for viewers to develop their ships. I'm not sold that this show will last a long time on television but I'll watch while its on.


2 Broke Girls
Drop It



I kept it a few episodes because some of the jokes were funny and I thought the show had potential.
But as the bad jokes continued there was nothing good to keep coming back to. The acting for the most part is poor and the characters are really not that likable.

For now I'll drop it but if I thought the show improved I'd download and watch it during the season.

The New Girl
Jury Still Deciding



I initially dropped it because my schedule was packed and I figured I could watch it later if u felt like it. I then dropped other shows and my TV schedule wasn't so bad so I went back and watched the episodes I missed and loved what I saw.

The show is able to blend the main actress with the supporting cast. I can also see relationships forming and growing which is always a good thing. It's still early and I'm not convinced I'll watch the show forever but if the writers can keep up the solid writing and story lines it'll be a good show long term.

Person of Interest
Jury Still Deciding



I love the premise of the show. The idea that their are people protecting us is intriguing and scary at the same time. I also love the acting. The main characters work off each other really well and the supporting characters keep things flowing.

The only thing that is keeping me from committing to the show is that it just seems like a case of the week at this point. The writers offer no real back story as of yet on the characters. The reason I enjoyed CSI and CSI:Miami is because while offering the case of the week they also let the characters build relationships and gave you a reason to like the characters. This show has not yet grasped that aspect and if they fail to do so the show will eventually lose whatever appeal it has.


X Factor
Keep It


Just like American Idol I can live without the audiences and Boot Camp. What interests me is when they get to the Live shows and I can see the singers either butcher a song (Danny Gokey singing "Dream On") or have a true moment on stage (Kris Allen singing "Heartless"). Now that X Factor is at the Live shows I'll tune in for the remainder of the season rather then just check clips online. 

Ringer
Drop It 


The show started off with so much promise but it ended up being to soapy for me. Also I have never been a huge fan of Sarah Michelle Gellar. Nothing against her, I just never enjoyed her acting. It reminded me of Nikita last season where I wanted to like a show but there was never enough reasons for me to keep watching.

2 comments:

  1. It's sooo strange that you posted this I was just thinking last night before I fell asleep about the new shows and old shows on my schedule and how I've decided to drop some and how I am surprised about other. Hart of Dixie is winning me over BIG TIME! Feels like Gilmore Girls and Everwood. I love it! In any case, I'll be posting a similar blog very soon with my results. :D

    ReplyDelete