Sunday, September 25, 2011

Quick Takes: The New Girl, 2 Broke Girls, Revenge, Whitney, and Person of Interest

The New Girl



The show reminded me of "My Boys." It was entertaining but I didn't think it was great. I did like the characters and most of the jokes hit but there was just something about the show I didn't love. It did rate well in it's debut so if ratings hold up it should get a full season and more then likely a second season so even through I'm not going to keep watching now I can also have the chance to watch it later online.

In a less crowded TV world I'd probably give more of a chance now but my schedule is packed.

2 Broke Girls



The show had just as many jokes that missed as they had jokes that hit well. But I will keep watching because the two main actresses worked so well together and I loved the premise of the show of the girls working towards a goal. 

Even with the weak jokes the acting was good. The producers made good decisions on the actresses they choose for the roles. They were the best part of the pilot. It'll have to have a few more good episodes before I fully commit to the show but it had a good start.

Revenge




I was not sure I wanted to give this show a chance but I decided since Wednesday nights is a lite night for TV shows I watch I've give a test and see what happens.

I am glad I gave it a try. The pilot showed so much potential for the series. It answered enough questions to establish a premise for the show but left enough questions unanswered that you want to keep coming back for more answers.

It was nice to see Emily Van Camp play a different type of character then she usually plays. She usually plays the girl next door type so this change was refreshing and enjoyable. I also liked seeing Nick Wechsler back on TV in a major role and a little weird seeing Connor Paolo not playing a moody gay kid like on Gossip Girl. Sometimes you get so use to a actor playing one character that it's seems weird to see them play an entirely different type of character but it's still a nice change.

My only worry about the show he is that I wonder how long the revenge plot can really last before the show gets stale. Revenge as a storyline works but I'm not sure if revenge as an entire premise for a show will work long term. For now I enjoyed what I watched and will be watching more.


Whitney




I expected so much from this show but it fell flat from the start. The jokes were not funny and made even worse by the laugh track. I gave up on the show half way through the pilot. The characters were for the most part unlikable. I got a feeling it won't last long term anyways so better to jump ship now.

Person of Interest



 Definitely the most intriguing pilot this season. There is so many avenues the show can go. It has the feel like it is a procedural but also has the potential to have a ongoing story with various story lines and plot twists.

The pilot opened a lot of questions and made it intriguing enough to make you want to come back for more. The characters are very interesting to say the least. I loved Michael Emerson in Lost and his character here is very similar to Benjamin Linus. It is almost like they took the character, changed his name, and gave him his own show. The show is produced by the same company so it makes perfect sense to cast Emerson in the role. That character alone make it enough to keep trying the show but the other main actors and supporting players are just as good and intriguing especially Jim Caviezel.

It is one of the better new shows I have watched this season and look forward to where the show is going.

1 comment:

  1. I really wanted to watch The New Girl but when I discovered in was basically a 1/2 hour sitcom, I decided to hold off and see if it makes it. It also reminded me of My Boys which I actually enjoyed.

    I also watched Revenge... twice. Once by myself, then another time with Ryan once I knew he would like it. I have the exact same feelings as you for that show. And I also wonder how long the revenge plot can continue... But with devoted and great writers I guess anything is possible.

    I didn't watch Person of Interest but I saw the preview and admit it does look good. Maybe I will give it a try this summer :)

    ReplyDelete