Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Quick Take: Ringer




I watched Ringer this morning against my better judgment. Not that I didn't think that it might be a good show. It's more that I wasn't sure if the show would get the ratings to last the long term. I really decided to try it because it's on the CW which is easier to a "hit" show and with One Tree Hill and potentially Supernatural (this is based on the fact that it's an aging show) having there last seasons there will be more room for a show with weak ratings to sneak a second season pickup.

So since I decided to give it a shot I must first say that I didn't love the pilot until the last ten minutes. Like any other pilot you have to spend the first 30 to 40 minutes introducing the players and initial story lines. Pilots always move a little slower. 

For me the pilot is often do or die. Some people like to give a show 2-3 episodes to gain there full interest but if the pilot doesn't really grab me then I usually bow out of a show. I'll sometimes go back and try the show again and realize I was mistaken. A perfect example was Everwood. First time I watched the pilot I didn't care for the show but I went back much later and it ended up being one of my all time favorite series. 

I wouldn't say the pilot hooked me. I also wouldn't say I won't end up loving the show. It's in that middle ground somewhere. I liked the characters but didn't love them. Outside of Sarah Michelle Gellar they didn't really give you a chance to meet the other characters in the pilot. The acting was acceptable for the most part and the three male leads are all likable actors that have been in other TV shows and movies that I have enjoyed. The just weren't showcased enough in the pilot but the characters and story lines where intriguing enough to give the next few episodes a try.

What really hooked me was the last ten minutes. I won't give away any spoilers but the last few scenes opened up so many possibilities for the show and if it is done right could make for a very interesting series.

2 comments:

  1. so you're going to keep going with it for a bit longer then? If you continue to enjoy it, I just might add it to my summer downloads :)let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let you know how it goes. It also depends how the ratings do over the next few weeks because if they look bad I'm jumping ship before I get hooked.

    ReplyDelete