Thursday, September 29, 2011

Quick Take: Hart of Dixie and Terra Nova

Heart of Dixie


The main reason I wanted to watch this show was because the previews reminded me of the old WB. Shows like Dawson's Creek, Gilmore Girls, Everwood, Smallville, Roswell and One Tree Hill. Shows that were more then just nice clothes and rich kids. Shows that had real emotion. 

And even though I knew this show wasn't going to last on The CW I had to give it a try. And I'm glad I did because I liked what I saw in the pilot. Rachel Bilson's character started off slightly unlikable but as the pilot went on you started to see the layers and defenses slowly peel away until there was a real character there. The character still wasn't perfect but she becoming likable enough that you wanted to keep watching the show. 

But like any great WB show you need a strong supporting cast and this show delivered. Scott Porter worked as one of the "love" interests and although the other potential love interest wasn't really shown much in the pilot he was shown enough to know that he'll grow to cause some problems.

And like any great WB show you need that nemesis and Jamie King fits the bill well. You just know she'll cause some conflict to start and eventually she'll grew to be a beloved character just like Nathan on One Tree Hill and Bright on Everwood. The other supporting players were also enjoyable especially Cress Williams as the Mayor and Tim Matheson as the rival doctor. 

It was also nice to see some country music on the CW especially `This`by Darius Rucker. The only thing I worry about is the writers. Because while they have written some great moments on their others shows (The OC, Chuck, Gossip Girl) they have also driven me crazy with story lines they have done. But if this show can get the following those other shows have gotten it would be good because I`d like to see this show last a few seasons and grow into a great show. It has the potential. Hopefully it gets the chance.

Terra Nova


I was disappointed in the show. The effects were cool but unnecessary for a television show. The spent so much money that the show had to it crazy ratings to be able to survive to keep it's budget and I'm not sure how this show survives with a lower budget.

The story wasn't the greatest for a pilot and there was nothing that really grabbed me and made me want to watch me. The acting also seemed weak in the pilot. It almost had a sense of feeling rushed even through it was delayed. Maybe it was just my knowledge of all the behind the scenes drama.

Either way I'm putting this show on the back burner. If it gets a second season I might revisit it in the summer but it's on Fox so I'm not convinced it'll last the long term.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if you and I can keep talking about TV... we just aren't seeing anything in the same light anymore!! :P
    I LOVED Terra Nova! the pilot blew me away and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Hart of Dixie was cute but didn't really take a hold of me yet.
    Jeez, Popcorn! what are we going to do about this lack of agreeing lately??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blame age for the difference.

    We still have Revenge Amy. I'll give Terra Nova another chance in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Age! LOL you're funny!

    ReplyDelete