Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tuesday Top Twenty ; Songs never released as singles

This week I'm counting down my favorite songs that were never released as singles. Like any of my other lists I only included one song per artist and even through I narrowed it down from a long list I'm sure I still forgot some good songs but I did the best I could to include a lot of my favorite songs. Most of these songs I heard in some of my favorite TV shows and movies. Others I just remember from listening to CDs when I was younger.  Some of them really surprised me that they were never released as a single.

I did some research on these choices and as best as I could find none of them were ever released as singles.

20. Alanis Morrisette - That I Would be Good (original)


This one would be higher but it was technically released as an acoustic version off of MTV Unplugged. I'm basing it on the original version. It's such a somber but inspirational song. The wish that no matter what you are to become that you would be good. That you would survive anything. I think it's a wish we all feel.

19. Matchbox 20 - Rest Stop


I love the story this song tells. It's not a happy story but it's still a good one. The realization that a relationship is just not working and it's time to just end it. I've always believed that a releatioship should run its course and if one of the participants isn't really in it for the long haul then they might as well just get out of it. Otherwise it's just wasting time and life is too short. 

18. Coffey Anderson - Better Today


My sister Katie used this song as loved her wedding song and I loved it. I'll never understand why some people can write such beautiful music and not be able to find success.

17. Laura Veirs - Wrecking


I first heard this song on One Tree Hill and  the lyrics really hit me. 

We can do some wrecking here
And find something to love
In this broken place
This broken place
 
16. Dishwalla - Angels and Demons


I never thought this band got the credit they deserved. There albums were really good but they made it with only one big hit and a few other minor hits. And as good as Counting Blue Cars is it has nothing on this song. 

15. Matt White - Wait For Love


Another song I found featured on television. Often I think my love for songs are based on how it's used in a TV show or movie.  Regardless the idea of just waiting for someone no longer how long is a nice one if not always an easy idea.

14. Michelle Branch - Crazy Ride


I read someone that Michelle Branch wrote this song for her daughter. It's a beautiful message from a mother to a daughter and something that every mother should take the time to tell there child. It's is not always easy and it's almost never perfect but it's life. 

13. Patrick Park - Life Is a Song


A similar message to some of the other songs on the list. It got extra points because it was the last song played on The OC and was used beautifully on the show. 


12. Kris Allen - I Need To Know


It's another somber song about a relationship falling apart but unlike Rest Stop it takes the side of the person who doesn't seem like they are ready to say goodbye. It made it higher on the list because it's probably the side I would relate to more now. Not that I think my wife is leaving me but that I couldn't imagine ever wanting out of this marriage. And if it was to be over I'd want to know rather then live in a constant bubble of doubt.


11.  Ray Lamontagne - Hold You In My Arms


Ray Lamontagne is such an amazing singer/songwriter and this would be my favorite song by him. I like the thought of being able to comfort someone just by holding them.

10. Michelle Featherstone - Coffee and Cigarettes


Another song that tells a sad story. When you come to the realization that it's the person you are in love with that is making you miserable. It's also about taking that step to walk away to save your own life.

9. Jimmy Eat World - Hear You Me


I've been lucky enough so far that I've never had to lose someone forever. With Facebook and text it's easy to get in tough with an old friend or family member. But the thought that someday I won't have that chance to tell someone how much I appreciated my time with them scares me. I would hope they knew how the help me along the road of life but you never know. That's why you should never go to sleep mad and always tell the important people you love them. 

8. Joshua Radin - Winter


There was a lot of songs I could of chose by Joshua Radin. I chose this one because I like the haunting delivery of the lyrics. The song is not over done. It's just a simple deliver. 

7. Tom Petty - Something Good


I've always been a Tom Petty fan. It's in the way he delivers the lyrics to a song and this song is no different. 

6.  Sara Bareilles - Breathe Again


If "Rest Stop" was someone realizing that a relationship was over and "I Need To Know" was the other person doubting it a relationship is still going strong then this song is the person wondering if they made the right decision. It's apart of every break up. When all you can do is remember the good moments and can't imagine life without them. Just hoping you'll breathe again.  

5. Sheryl Crow - I Shall Believe


I was surprised this song was not a single. It's a beautiful song. Sometimes you just need someone to tell you that everything is going to be alright. 

4. Pearl Jam - Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town


Pearl Jam has had so many great songs that were not released as singles and after going through them all this is simple my favorite and I thought they should be on the list. 

3. Lifehouse-  Everything


Sometimes a band's best song isn't a good choice for a single. That's the case here. While I love this song I don't think it would have done well as a single. It's to slow for rock radio and not fast enough for adult top 40. Regardless is it a beautiful song. 

2. The Beatles - In My Life


One of my favorite songs by The Beatles and it amazes me that this was not a single considering they released a lot of singles. 

1. Chantal Kreviazuk - Green Apples


This song gets a lot of bonus points because it was Nessa and my wedding song. The song represents everything I think love should be. The simple reminders like how you love "toast and jam and double rainbows." When someone reminders you have all the small things they must be the one.

1 comment:

  1. I am VERY surprised that I Shall Believe wasn't ever released as a single! crazy!

    A lot of these songs I've never heard before and really liked. A lot I have heard on TV and LOVE because they were at awesome moments !

    ReplyDelete