Monday, August 22, 2011

Remember when spoofs were funny movies?

Today Nessa and I took the plunge and signed up for Netflix. We figured the first month was free so why not jump in and give it a try considering the closest Blockbuster closed down and any other place near by that rents movies scares me.

Anyways while deciding what to watch with our dinner we made the bone headed decision to watch Vampires Suck. I made decision despite the fact that people told me it was horrible and there hasn't been a great spoof movie in awhile.


Even if you think the trailer kinda looks funny don't be fooled.

There was a time when you could rely on spoofs to deliver good laughs. When I was younger I loved Leslie Nielsen. I remember renting Airplane on VHS and laughing my ass off every time he said "I am serious... and don't call me Shirley."



There was so much the film did right and they never made the mistake of letting a joke run to long. The actors also acted delivered the majority of their lines in a serious tone rather then acting like everything was a joke.  Even the inferior sequel is still better then any of the latest batch of so called spoofs. 

The 80's and early 90's had so many great spoofs. Space Balls, Top Secret!, Loaded Weapon, Naked Gun series, This is Spinal Tap, Hot Shots, and Robin Hood: Men In Tights.The late nineties had a decline in quality with only Mars Attacks being really funny even through I did enjoy High School High. 

Then came the Scary Movie franchise. It was a great return to form in the first two films. The kept the jokes short and to the point and moved on to the next scene before the audience got bored. Unlike the earlier spoofs like Airplane they didn't take themselves seriously but were still entertaining because they never allowed a joke to grow old.



This also worked in Shaun of the Dead and to a lesser extent Not Another Teen Movie. Then it all went down hill. Starting with Scary Movie 3 and 4 the jokes started feeling cheap and started lasting longer then they should.


Even with the lower quality jokes the films were still mildly entertaining and not enough for me to give up spoofs. 

This is where things really got bad. It all started with Date Movie and sadly ends with Vampire Sucks. They have finally killed off the spoof movie. I will now vow never to watch another spoof movie again.

Until Scary Movie 5 comes out ... what can I say. I'm a sucker ...



1 comment:

  1. 100% agree on this one. We rented Date Movie when it came out on DVD and didn't even end up finishing it. What a ridiculous film. I didn't mind the Scary Movie franchise, even the last couple were OK. But I ended it all with Date Movie... I refuse to watch Vampire's Suck. I've given up on spoofs.

    ReplyDelete