Monday, August 29, 2011

Quick Takes on four old shows I've decided to try out.

Since Nessa and I decided to take the plunge and start using Netflix we've worked our way through the selection and found a lot of things that is actually worth watching. I was just expecting to use the free month and then bow out of the service but I can see us using it long term. I found a lot of old movies I love but don't own. Senior Trip for instance, which isn't a great movie but it's a guilty pleasure I love.

Netflix also offers TV series and we started watching shows that we never gave a chance before because we just missed the boat on the show or at the time they didn't really interest either of us. Here is just a few thoughts on each of the four shows we tried out.

Weeds


I kinda enjoyed the pilot but I'm not sold on enjoying the show. Usually when I love a show I can't stop watching until I am fully caught up but with this show even through I enjoyed the pilot I haven't felt the need to really watch any more episodes. It's nothing to do with the acting because the actors were chosen well and are likable for the most part. The premise and writing of the show is also good. Just for some reason I don't feel the need that I have to keep watching. I'll eventually get around to trying a few more episodes but feel no rush.

My Boys


This show was a miss for me. While the pilot had funny moments I didn't connect with any of the characters and found the main character really annoying. I've had that happen before and still liked a show (Dawson's Creek, Grey's Anatomy just to name two) but this show had no other character that made me want to watch the show.

Dead Like Me



This show I loved from the start. I love all the characters and relate to the main characters need to know her family is safe. It also has one of the best Opening Credits ever. It was only on for two seasons and I'd properly be almost done the show but I made an agreement with Nessa to watch the show together and she falls asleep while watching movies and TV.

Heartland


And since she fell asleep and I had to stop watching Dead Like Me I gave Heartland a try which I also quickly loved. I've watched the first season in three days (it's only 13 episodes so it's not as sad as it sounds). The show reminds me a lot of Everwood and other shows that were on The WB back in the gold old days of Teen shows. The storylines are honest and real like Everwood. It has characters you want to see grow and become couples. It has the parent figure and the annoying character that you don't like but always know when eventually do something redeeming. If you liked the feel of shows that made it on the WB I think you would love Heartland.

3 comments:

  1. My boys was pretty good. The rest of the shows I didn't enjoy. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely enjoyed My Boys the least

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didn't like My boys enough to continue watching it either, but I laughed a bit. I don't know why, but I just didn't get into Heartland... and Dead Like Me was weird.... Weeds was ok, but not my cup of tea...

    ReplyDelete