Thursday, July 14, 2011

Reaction to Emmy nominations

With the list of this year’s nominations it just reinforces my belief that Emmy voters don’t really watch TV. They just latch on to shows that critics like and keep nominating the same things over and over again every year. It’s not a bad thing when shows deserve it. I wouldn’t call myself a fan of Mad Men so I can’t really argue that it doesn’t deserve the Emmy love but other shows did not deserve all the love.

Firstly Glee was bad this season. It was disjointed and often times was boring. The same could be said for The Office and the nomination for Steve Carrell for Lead Actor in a Comedy. If the show fails to live up to prior seasons then the Emmy’s need to recognize that it wasn’t as good and stop themselves from following old habits.But it was nice to see Johnny Galecki and nominated alongside Jim Parsons.

I do think Modern Family is funny but do you really need to award every single actor in the show and call them a best supporting actor. Apparently the show does not have a lead actor. Honestly one of the spots should have gone to Neil Patrick Harris who is hilarious as Barney on How I Met your Mother.

I wanted Fringe to get a Best Drama nomination but can’t really argue with who was nominated especially since Friday Night Lights finally got a Best Drama nom but John Noble should have got into the Best Actor from a Drama race. He was outstanding playing two versions of Walter all seasons and should have been awarded. Not really surprising since I don’t think Emmy likes Sci Fi shows but disappointing none the less.

I was very glad to see Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler get nominations again. I know they won’t win but still nice to see those two get recognized. They played such a realistic married couple for five seasons and deserve the love. I also liked seeing Matt LeBlanc nominated for Episodes which is an under rated comedy and should have been nominated over Glee.

Even through I am still upset with how the ended the season I can’t deny that Mireille Enos and Michelle Forbes deserved nominations for The Killing. The scene where Michelle Forbes finds out her daughter was killed should win her the Emmy for Best Supporting Actress and that was just from the pilot. Both actresses carried the season.

It looks like The Walking Dead will join a long list of shows that are great but get no Emmy love. Gilmore Girls, Everwood, Bones, and Southland.

But at least Cat Deeley finally broke into the list for Best Realty Show host. How she has never been nominated before I will never understand but better late then never. She makes the show and should easily win the award if voters are smart even through I’ll still accept Jeff Probst winning because as much as Cat Deeley makes So You Think You Can Dance, Jeff Probst is Survivor.

I was surprised there was no love for Grey’s Anatomy. They usually grab at least one Supporting Actress and this year got nothing. I was glad to see Loretta Devine get a Guest Star nom for ths show because she is amazing in everything she does. The rest of the cast not being nominated doesn’t bother me because the show is so hit or miss but shocked me because it went against the grain of Emmy rewarding the same old thing even if it’s not as good as it once was. Nice to see some things change.

No comments:

Post a Comment