Monday, July 11, 2011

Music Monday: Chantal Kreviazuk - Green Apples


You're toast and jam
And you are cotton candy
You're double rainbows
Beside a settin' sun
You're wood burnin' outside
There's a fire glowin'
You're sweet as green apples
You must be the one

When I first heard Chantal Kreviazuk's debut album I fell in love with this song. It expressed so much in such simple lyrics. But that was the point. Loving someone should be simple. Love is all the small things that we take for granted everyday. I always wondered what it would be like to have someone who reminded you of all the small joys in life. 

Right after I graduated from university I moved to my hometown of Campbellton and had planned to stay just the summer to make some easy cash and then head off to the rest of my life in Toronto or Halifax. But like most things in life plans change. It's like in romantic comedies when the main character realizes that what they want is right in front of them. I reconnected with someone I once had crush on and realized I still liked her. Luckily for me she felt the same way and we began dating.

I first realized I could be in love when I was in Montreal with some friends and a lot of little things made me think of her. I was there for a week and from the moment I left I just wanted to be back home spending time with her. 


This song always made me think of her and when we were engaged I wanted it to be our first dance but had to convince her. Luckily for me I got that chance. Nessa went to a girl's night with some friends and they were discussing each couple's song. Nessa had said we didn't have a song and when she told me the story I told her I considered this song to be our song. I told her how the song reminded me of her and how she reminds me of all the small things I love like standing in the wind and watching fireworks. Of course she rolled her eyes like she always does when I say sappy things but she also smiled her wonderful smile and agreed to let it be our first dance.

And since tomorrow will be three years since we first danced to this beautiful song as Mr and Mrs Mitchell I thought I'd share this song.

Here is an extra for those that are able to watch videos posted to my Facebook.

1 comment: