Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tuesday Top Twenty: One Hit Wonders

I'm going extra this week. Mostly because I actually like all 20 songs. Some are guilty pleasures that I listen to in the privacy of my home when no one is around or secretly tap my feet to while I am listening to my iPod. Of course I pretend they are other songs. That's the power of head phones. Other songs are by artists I really enjoy but for whatever reason they never got that second hit. Either way I had a hard time getting it down to twenty songs and like this all so the easy solution was to just extend the list to a Tuesday Top Twenty. 


Enjoy the tunes ... should bring back some memories for you!



20. Chumbawamba Tubthumping

  Sure the song is kinda annoying but it's still a good listen every once and a while. Plus it's a good song to sing when you are trying to annoy people by getting songs stuck in their heads.

19. Billy Ray Cyrus Achy Breaky Heart


My sisters use to play this song all the time and even though I pretended to hate it I secretly listened to it. Just not as much as they did. At least this daughter is really successful.

18. Biz Markie Just a Friend


One of my favorite songs to sing at karaoke. Mostly because his voice is almost as bad as mine. 

17.  Skee-Lo I Wish


The video made this song. Sadly I couldn't find the video but it's still a great song from the 90's.

16.  Rednex Cotton-Eyed Joe


The Flagship use to play this all the time in the late 90's. Of course the fact that I know that means I was in a bar well before I was 19. It's not my fault they didn't card us on Friday nights. Of course we didn't give them much choice considering when they did card we all left so it was either let it slide or have an empty bar. 

15. Sir Mix-a-Lot Baby Got Back


Can't have a list of one hit wonders without Sir Mix-A-Lot. I can't rap but I always tried when this song came on.
 
14. Afroman Because I Got High


I was gonna write a blurb ... but I got high.

13. Daniel Powter Bad Day


Another very addictive song that just gets stuck in your head. Daniel Powter actually has other songs I like a lot more but this is the only one that he was able to hit it big with. 

12. The Cardigans Lovefool


I didn't care for their other songs but I always loved this tune. 

11.  Semisonic Closing Time



I use to crank this song at Al's after a long night of drinking and just wind down. Of course I was winding down more because I was so drunk I was passing out but that's besides the point.

10. Nena 99 Luftballons


 Forget the translation. This song is so much better in German. 

9.  Whigfield Saturday Night


I remember this song being played at Junior High dances. I still do the dance in my socks.

8.  Uncle Sam I Don't Ever Want To See You Again


Not sure why I like this song. I've never been cheated on by someone else but for some reason I just really like the way the song is sung. 

7. Right Said Fred I'm Too Sexy


I'm not even sure if they ever recorded another song but anything that included the line "I'm too sexy for my cat" is a classic.
 
6.  Lou Bega Mambo No. 5 (A Little Bit Of...)


Another purely addictive song when you listen to it. I actually once owned the album and pretty sure I only listened to the one song.

5. Sixpence None The Richer Kiss Me


I was at HMV once and saw a Greatest Hits of Sixpence None The Richer and laughed.

4. Vanilla Ice Ice Ice Baby


I had a chance to see him in University but he cancelled because UPEI threw potatoes at him.  I really wanted to see him even if it would have been Metal versions of his hits. Word to you mother!

3. The Verve Bitter Sweet Symphony


 I still listen to this song all the time. The video is one of the best ever and the should have been a bigger band like Oasis.

2. Joan Osbourne One Of Us


She tried really hard to get that second hit but it just didn't happen. It should have. "One of Us" is one of the best written songs ever and she sings it with such emotion. 

1. Dexy's Midnight Runners Come on Eileen


One of the best songs from the 80's. I've never heard another song by the band but I've always loved this song. It's catchy and has a fun video that was always enjoyable. 

2 comments:

  1. you're right! this did bring back a lot of memories! You know, I'm not certain about this but I think Sixpence None the Richer actually had other hits in GB... But don't quote me on that, cause my brain is very fuzzy these days. ... Because I got high! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. They might have. I think they might have had that cover of "There She Goes" but I'll still count them as a One Hit Wonder.

    ReplyDelete