Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tuesday Top Ten: TV shows that were cancelled too soon.

With the TV season winding down and networks announcing there fall lineups next week I thought it was a good time to do my Top Ten TV shows that were canceled too soon.


I eliminated shows that could have gone on but stars wanted out (Gilmore Girls, Scrubs), shows that were once good and had potential to be good again but died out in later seasons (Veronica Mars, Heroes) and shows I liked but didn’t watch while they were on TV (Popular, Freaks and Geeks, My So-Called Life). I also left out shows I felt went on just long enough not to get to stale. (Lost, Greek, Dawson's Creek, Friday Night Lights)

10. October Road



 The show interested me because it was about returning home. They say you can never go home. That's because people change and people grow up. The concept that a guy returns home after disappearing for many years only to have his old friends dislike him intrigued me and I thought it could have lasted longer if treated differently.

9. My Name Is Earl


I always enjoyed Jason Lee. I liked him in Kevin Smith's movies and I liked him in this show. It was much funnier then most sitcoms that are on television right now. It's a shame NBC couldn't give this show more of a try especially considering how bad the network is doing in the ratings now.


8. Life Unexpected


 
I started watching this show because it reminded me of some of my favorite WB shows and instantly loved the show. It had such a sweet truth to the show. The characters acted like real people and the show never really fit in with the Gossip Girls of the CW. I think the show would have lasted longer as a companion show with Gilmore Girls but was outside it's niche here.

7. Reaper


Ray Wise was great as the Devil on this show. The show was able to blend humor and drama well without overdoing it. The real injustice was that Ray Wise didn't have the chance to be a regular on TV for longer.

6. Jericho


One of the great shows that was able to be renewed because of it's crazy fans sending things to the network. The disappointment is that even through I barely got a second season and they still chose to end on a cliffhanger. It feels unfair from the writers the end a show that way when they had to know it was the end.

5. The OC


Season 4 is the only reason this show makes the list. I slowly grew to dislike the show in season 2 and 3. The show just kept doing the same things over and over again. But season 4 was almost as great as season 1 and if people would have given it a real chance the show could have easily went another few seasons. Or they could have made the same mistakes.

4. Roswell


I liked this show but after season one I never felt the writers really got to do what they wanted to do. Especially after their move to UPN the show just wasn't the same even through the series finale was really well done.

3. Sports Night


In my opinion one of the most underrated shows ever. The acting was always amazing and so many of the stars went on to appear in other successful shows. The show was funny but also had a lot of heartfelt moments like the one in the clip above.

2. Eli Stone



The show had a really big concept and as a fan of musicals every week was seemed like a big production. The writing on the show was superb which has become a bench mark of a Greg Berlanti production. Berlanti worked on Dawson's Creek before creating the next show on the list as well as Eli Stone and Brothers and Sisters which I've heard is a good show but never gave it a chance as of yet.

1. Everwood


I didn't like this show the first time I watched it but I'm glad I gave it a second chance because it grew on me really quickly. The relationship between father and son really appealed to me and I liked watching them grow from Ephraim hating Andy to an almost normal father/son relationship by the end of the series. It could have easily gone on longer but thanks to the need to give Veronica Mars a weak third season it didn't make it onto the CW.

No comments:

Post a Comment