Monday, January 09, 2012

Music Monday: New Music by Old Favorites

Starting off the new year with some of the newest songs from four of my favorite artists/bands.

Snow Patrol - New York

 

If you were here beside me
Instead of in New York
If the curve of you was curved on me
I’d tell you that I loved you
Before I even knew you
Cause I loved the simple thought of you 
 

Like every great Snow Patrol song this one was featured during a pivotal moment on Grey's Anatomy. I won't say anything else for those who still need to catch up on the show but it was a well done scene and the song fit it really well. The idea of relationship not working even through both sides love each other always intrigued me. I always felt that love could conquer all. I know it's not always the cause but I'm an optimist.

Our Lady Peace - Heavyweight


When all these walls come down
They’ll shake us
We fight not to be
Not to be weightless

This songs reminds me of something that would have been on their first album. It would have fit in perfectly with Naveed and Starseed. It's a nice call back to 90's rock and an enjoyable song. One thing I always liked about Our Lady Peace is that their lyrics packed a lot of punch. Similar to other Canadian rock bands like the Matthew Good Band and the Tragically Hip. Their last few albums have been hit or miss I'll glad they made a return to their earlier sound. 

The Fray - Heartbeat
 

I'm trying to put it all back together.
I've got a story and I'm trying to tell it right.
I got the kerosene and a desire.
I'm trying to start a flame in the heart of the night

This song fits right into what I love. While it's not as good as earlier singles like "Over My Head (Cable Car)" and "How to Save a Life" it's still a good song with a good story. It reminds me of being a teenager and heading to the cabin in Matapedia. I'm not even sure why but it makes me think of summer nights and having a good time with friends in the middle of no where. A stereo and a fire. Just enjoying our youth and the freedom that you have when you are young. Life passes by like a heartbeat. 

Gavin Degraw - Not Over You


If you ask me how I'm doing
I would say I'm doing just fine

I would lie and say that you're not on my mind

But I go out, and I sit down at a table set for two
And finally I'm forced to face the truth
No matter what I say I'm..
Not over you,
Not over you

I can already hear this song playing in the background during an episode of One Tree Hill. I really like the music in this song. The beat gets suck in your head and doesn't want to get out. At least it an enjoyable song so it's not so bad that it gets stuck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment