Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Flashback: WB Promos

This is something new I'll be trying. I got the idea from my wife who ends her blog postings with a blast from the past. Every once and awhile I'll post something that I use to love like a children's show or a toy I loved playing with. Something that will make you feel nostalgic.

I'm gonna start off with those old WB cast promos that they put out every year to promote their cast and shows. I always liked them because they showcased all the shows rather then just the "hit" shows. No one did the promotional videos better then the WB.

I grew up watching the network and the majority of my all-time favorite shows and characters were on The WB from Dawson's Creek to Smallville. I had a lot of good memories watching the shows and still watch them on DVD or streaming online. 

1999: Faces


Sadly YouTube had the song removed from the original postings. It must have taken a lot of work because it seems like they got it removed from all of them so I posted a Smallville fan made video below. If you want to get the feel of the video try playing both at once. It's not the same but as close as it's gonna come.

This was my favorite of the clips that the WB released. It's such a simple video that highlights the big shows (Dawson, Buffy, 7th Heaven) as well as new shows that should have performed better but for whatever reason didn't (Roswell, Popular). The song also worked great with how it was shot. It also works because it showed cast that you forget started on the WB like Seth Green.

2000: The Night Is Young


One way to get the networks stars together to film a promo is to throw a party. Most of the video seems like they invited everyone to a party, added alcohol, and let a camera record the shenanigans. Other then the few obvious staged shots the video just feels like a group of people having fun. It also showcases the different shows without showing any real favoritism although I totally forgot the WB had the Jamie Foxx show.
2001 and 2002: My Generation

  


These two were really quite similar in the way they were done. There was less interaction between the casts of the different shows but still did a good job of showcasing the entire lineup without showing favoritism for hit shows. It also did the best of reminding me how many failed shows the WB had over the last few years it was on the air. I totally forgot Jamie Kennedy had a TV show on the CW and had to look up what show John Cho was on.

2003:


My least favorite clip.They seemed to get lazy in 2003. Maybe people were busy or they just wanted to save money but they simply used clips from the shows. They did use good clips and soundbites which gives it some extra points in my book. 

2004 and 2005: 



The last really good promos plus they used an awesome songs for the videos. They combined the use of show clips while also having the casts used in promotional style shots. Not as good as the earlier promos because the casts don't interact with each other but still an entertaining clips.

2006: CW "Free To Be"


The first clip done as the CW network and really the only good one that has been done. It seemed like it was fun to make the clip but again would have liked to see more interaction between different shows. It loses points because they canceled Everwood and kept the really bad season 3 of Veronica Mars.


2007: Get Into It


I hate this one. It feels more like a bad music video for Nicole Scherzinger and her failed solo career then a promo for the CW.

2008: Every Night is a Good Night
2009, 2010, and 2011: TV to Talk About






I put these four together because while they are good promos they all seem more like fan made videos that are all over YouTube then a promo for the network.
Bonus: FOX 2004-2005


I included this clip from Fox because it shows how much better the WB was at promotional videos. Plus it shows one of the reasons I hate Fox as a network. There are a few shows I would have liked to watch on that season but didn't because you can never trust Fox to let a show build a fan base before pulling the cord on the show. 

WB Goodbye videos: Faces You'll Remember


These were clips the WB aired the last night it was a network. It was amazing to see how many actors and actresses were once on the WB and how it started so many young careers. I miss what the WB bought to TV and the CW can't compete with the emotion that the WB bought to it's shows. It's sad to think that after this season they'll only be Supernatural left for old WB shows now that One Tree Hill is on it's last season.

They'll never be another network that hold so many memories for so many people.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, your least favorite promo is my MOST favorite! the clips from the actual moments of the shows gave me chills and were very well edited.

    I'm not a fan of the last WB promos after that and I have to say the 1999 and 2000 promos def give me the most feelings of nostalgia. :D

    The TV to Talk about Promos for the CW were not bad and did work to get me excited about the upcoming fall lineup, but it just doesn't compare to the 1999 WB promos.

    The goodbye promo made me cry! Cheers to the memories! The WB will always have my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think where the CW shows fall is that while they are entertaining they don't hit on any real emotion like the WB had. Just comparing the clips from 2003 and then from the 2009-2011 shows that.

    I had a feeling 2003 would be your favorite. It's not that I didn't like it. I just enjoy the ones where the stars get to interact.

    ReplyDelete